Tuesday, January 22, 2008

A Little Too Little, A Little Too Late

In October of last year, some of you may remember the complaint that I filed against our incompetent "management company" (and I use that term lightly here) with the local apartment association in Kentucky. Eight days later I received a reply stating that the Executive Committee would be meeting in a week to consider my complaint and they would get back to me.

Of course, I knew that the association had no teeth and that they would find no wrong doing. I just wanted everyone to know that a fellow board member was not what he claimed to be, and for him to be removed from the association. So, yesterday, three whole months later, I receive this e-mail (as always, my comments are in red):

As 2007 President of the ####### Apartment Association, I have met with the Executive Committee concerning your complaint filed again (sic) ####### Property Management. I'm sorry your experience was unpleasant (why, that's a nice way of putting it) with this particular company, and hope it in no way tarnishes your views of our entire Association (uh, he was chosen to be on your board and you referred his company to us). We make every attempt to educate our members of their responsibility of conducting themselves in a professional and ethical manner at all times while members of our Association (but those who serve on our board of directors may lie, cheat, and steal to make an almighty dollar).

After reviewing the complaint and discussing this matter with legal council (I'm sorry, but it's so hard to take her seriously when she doesn't know the difference between "council" and "counsel"--and why didn't her legal "council" review this e-mail?), it is our opinion that due to the extent of the allegations you have submitted, and because the ####### Apartment Association is not a party to the contract between ####### Property Management and yourself (no duh! It took three months to figure that out?), there are no steps we as an Association can take to remedy the situation (I wasn't seeking a remedy. I wanted them censured by the association). We have, however, made ####### Property Management aware (I think the more appropriate term would be "alerted") of a complaint filed against them and will keep this matter of record. You may seek legal action against ####### Property Management to recoup your loss (thank you, but I don't need your permission to sue anyone).

Again, we regret your unpleasant experience and wish you and your family the very best for 2008 .

Respectfully submitted,
##### ########
2007 President

Here is my more than kind, yet insistent, reply:

Thank you for your reply. I would like to clarify one point. I was not asking the ####### Apartment Association to remedy the situation. Due to the gross incompetence, negligence, and possible illegal activities that I outlined in my complaint, I am requesting that ###### Property Management be censured as a member of your organization, and, more specifically, that #### ##### be removed from the board of directors. Accepting and responding to complaints against its members and board is the responsibility of any legitimate association. My biggest concern is that the ####### Apartment Association is still referring unsuspecting property owners to ##### Property Management to oversee their properties.

Please assure me in writing that these reasonable requests will be granted by your organization. Thank you for your assistance and cooperation in this matter.