Thursday, October 11, 2007

Don't Be a Victim

Here is an article about a San Diegan's foreclosure plight:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21082646/

I really feel bad for this lady. There, but for the grace of God, go I--for different reasons, but I can still relate.

My only problem with this article, and with many of the stories that we are hearing, is the whole victimization angle. Are any foreclosures a result of fraud in the lending process? Most likely. Were some buyers not aware of the terms of their loans? Probably.

However, I haven't seen one story about someone who takes responsibility for signing on the dotted lines (and there are many) and/or getting into the market at the wrong time. How can we learn from our mistakes if we never admit that we did something wrong? Pointing the finger at others does not help us succeed in the long run. It just keeps us stuck and controlled by the person or entity being blamed.

I feel strongly that fraud was commited by the seller of our OH property. We are reviewing our legal options in regard to this. But my husband and I still take full responsibility for our decision to buy the property, and our resultant loss as a consequence. We feel that we should have tried better to prevent someone from taking advantage of us. We have learned since that the commercial industry is wrought with dishonest people (I hope to give you details in later posts), who will cheat and defraud anyone who allows it. We have had a very long and expensive education, and do not plan to let it go to waste by not using it in the future.

So, I ask you, when was the last time you took full responsibility for your own actions in RE or business?